Volunteers are individuals who are committed to a cause; they bring dedication and an invaluable contribution to the Animal Welfare Field. Volunteers play a significant role in the health and well-being of animals in our care through means of physical and emotional assistance. They embody compassion and are giving of themselves without compensation or wage for the benefit of animals in need. Through their efforts the Kitchener-Waterloo Humane Society will continue to benefit from their generosity, thus allowing us to work together to achieve a common goal.
To Get Involved:
All of our current volunteer opportunities are listed below. Please note that at this time, our community service and youth volunteer program is suspended. We are currently looking for long-term volunteers to fill the roles below. If we do not have a position to match your skills, please continue to check back as our site is updated to reflect current shelter needs. Thank you for your interest!
For Volunteer Program information, download a copy of our volunteer manual at the bottom of this page.
Want to volunteer? Please fill out a Volunteer Application
Animal Fostering Program
What is Foster Care?
The definition of foster is: “to promote the growth and development of an individual.” The KWHS relies on the dedication of Foster Volunteers to aid in the recovery of animals who may not be ready for adoption due to medical or behavioral reasons. Foster volunteers temporarily care for animals in their home until the animals are ready to be placed up for adoption.
All vet costs and supplies including food, litter, medications, examinations, and prescription diets are provided by the KWHS.
This program is perfect for those who may not be able to commit to an animal for its entire life.
Foster care at KWHS
Being a foster caregiver is a rewarding experience, but it can also be frustrating and challenging at times. If you are looking for a for an experience that is truly rewarding, consider becoming a member of the KWHS Foster Care Team.
Foster Volunteer Requirements:
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.
- Volunteers must reside in Waterloo Region.
- Volunteers with pets must show proof of spay or neuter and current vaccinations.
- Volunteers must have a separate room to isolate a foster animal.
- Volunteer must have time to care for foster animals.
- Volunteers must have access to a vehicle.
- Complete the Foster Volunteer Application.
- Send the application via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to: 519-745-3224.
Volunteers suitable for the program will be contacted for an interview.
The purpose of this volunteer position is to assist our camp staff with maintaining a welcoming and controlled camp environment. Ideal candidates will be adults or youth 14+.
Assistants will gain experience in a fast-paced camp environment, working closely with children and some of our center animals! This position is a great way to impact communities, helping both children and animals. It will allow youth to achieve their 40 hour community involvement for secondary school graduation and will be a great addition to any resume.
If you have a positive, outgoing attitude and want to gain experience in a leadership role, apply to be a Camp Assistant for one or all of our programs; PD Day Camps, or Summer Day Camp.
Upcoming PD Day camp dates include: April 7th, May 5th, June 2nd
Summer Camp dates include: June 28th (Training), July 4 – 7 (Short Week), July 10 – 14, VET CAMP (Ages 10+, July 17 – 21), July 24 – 28, July 31st – August 4th, August 8 – 11 (Short Week), August 14 – 18, August 21 – 25, and August 28 – Sept 1
To apply for an upcoming position as a Counselor Assistant for camp, fill out an application below and send it to email@example.com
Camp Assistant duties:
- Assist camp staff with the morning set-up and end-of-day cleaning
- Responsible for supervising camp group when counselor is not present
- Reporting to humane education coordinator/camp director about health or behavioral problems with campers
- Responsible for assisting camp staff with maintaining a positive, energetic environment for all of the campers
- Take part in games and activities, including set-up/take down
- Ensure safety measures and humane society policies are implemented at all times
Camp Assistant position requirements:
Applicants must be at least 14 years of age and must be able to commit to 1 full day of PD Day camp or 1 full week of Summer Camp from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- be comfortable in a leadership role
- be able to follow direction
- possess an outgoing, positive attitude
- be comfortable interacting with children and ensuring they are all treated equally
- be comfortable supervising your camp group on your own periodically
- be comfortable handling all types of animals
- be willing to obtain a Vulnerable Sector Police Check if over 18
Animal Care Partner
The purpose of this position is to assist our Animal Care Staff with maintaining a clean and healthy atmosphere and helping with general animal husbandry.
This is a great volunteer position for anyone looking to be a little more hands on, or who want to gain experience in caring for a variety of animals.
Available shifts are weekdays only Monday to Friday. Animal Care Cats and Small Animals shifts run from 8AM-Noon. Animal Care Dogs shifts run from 7AM-11AM.
To apply for a position as an Animal Care Partner, please fill out a volunteer application indicating which shift you are interested in and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Animal Care Partner duties:
- Assist Animal Care with the morning cleaning and disinfecting of the cat condos or inside and outside dog pods/runs.
- Responsible for assuring pets have sufficient food and water.
- Reporting to Animal Care Attendants any health or behavioral problems in pets.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean, healthy environment for all of the animals within the Centre.
- Maintain confidentiality of all personal information.
- Maintain a disease free environment.
- Fill out daily animal health charts.
- Help with general Centre housekeeping.
- Ensure safety measures and KWHS policies are implemented at all times.
Animal Care Partner position requirements:
Applicants must be at least 16 years of age and must be able to commit to a regular weekly shift.
- Must be an effective cleaner and have an eye for detail.
- You must be able to follow direction.
- You must be able to work on your own.
- Must be comfortable working with all animals.
Adoption Cat Counselor
The purpose of this volunteer position is to assist our Animal Care Department with the adoption of cats to their forever homes. It involves working with both our adoption cats and with members of the public.
This is a great volunteer position for anyone looking to be a little more hands on with the cats, and who enjoys working with people.
Available shifts are:
- Tuesdays 11-1 , 1- 3, or 3-5
- Wed 11-1 , 1- 3, or 3-5
- Fridays 11-1, 1-3, or 3-5
To apply for a position as an Adoption Cat Counselor, please fill out a volunteer application indicating which shift you are interested in and send it to email@example.com.
Adoption Cat Counselor duties:
- Assist adopters with meet and greets with the adoption cats.
- Gather all pertinent forms and hand to prospective adoptees, explain areas to be completed.
- Answer adoption/cat care questions.
- Answer any question concerning policies or procedures i.e. Return policies, Spay/Neuter vouchers and Pet Insurance.
- Maintain the upkeep & cleanliness of the assessment areas/cat condos.
- Ensure safety measures and KWHS policies are implemented at all times.
- Maintain confidentiality of all records.
Adoption Cat Counselor position requirements:
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and must be able to commit to a regular weekly shift.
Applicants must have or be willing to develop:
- A strong understanding of KWHS adoption procedures.
- Excellent Cat handling skills.
- An excellent understanding and compliance with KWHS rules and policies.
- Excellent oral and communication skills.
- A friendly outgoing manner with people.